Article lists are out of control

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
hbowman
Harmless

Article lists are out of control

Postby hbowman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:12 am

Vienna 3.1.16 :891d05ea: has UI problems. Click on a feed in the left column, and half the time the list of articles comes up blank. Click away and click back, and there is the list of articles. Do it again, there is a 50% chance it works again or it's blank again.

Also, it's bringing back articles I have deleted just moments before, and putting blue dots I things I have already read, sometimes several times. Some of these I had flagged, and the flags are gone, replaced with the blue dots.

MacBook Pro, latest update of Sierra (not High Sierra).

David Munch
Grandé

Re: Article lists are out of control

Postby David Munch » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:47 am

Sounds more like a database issue, than a general problem.
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:

hbowman
Harmless

Postby hbowman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:38 am

So as somebody who just uses Vienna, and not a debug geek, what do I do about that?

A related symptom is that the left-hand column will show (say) three new article in the blue circled number... as I read the articles and the blue dots disappear from the article titles, the number in the left hand column will not change. When I click on another feed, then click back, the same three articles are now marked as new again.

sandstrom
Muffin

Postby sandstrom » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:04 am

hbowman wrote:A related symptom is that the left-hand column will show (say) three new article in the blue circled number... as I read the articles and the blue dots disappear from the article titles, the number in the left hand column will not change. When I click on another feed, then click back, the same three articles are now marked as new again.

That sounds much like this issue which is much better with Vienna 3.1.16. Your original problem: does this happen always? Or is it intermittent? If it is the former there might be an issue with your database, I don’t know. For the latter, pressing Command+K on the selected feed will usually get all the articles marked as read, or restarting Vienna. (the 2 issues are related, imho)

hbowman
Harmless

Postby hbowman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:36 pm

Yes, it sounds very much like what that fellow is seeing. But I'm already running 3.16, and this problem started either in it or in the immediately previous release. I found the Reindex Database control and selected it a few times... it doesn't have any obvious effect or even a delay when I select it, and it does nothing about the problem. This problem is absolutely repeatable -- happens every time.

Another symptom: the title lines appear in the right hand window only every OTHER time I select the feed name. That too is absolutely repeatable. If I click alternately between two feed names in the left hand column, titles appear for one, titles appear for the other, then a blank pane with no titles for the first one, a blank pane with no titles for the second one, then titles are back, etc. This points a lot more to something like a code problem, not a database problem.

Return to “Vienna”