Adium permanent download / upload to msn

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Jerome_C
Harmless

Adium permanent download / upload to msn

Postby Jerome_C » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi

I realize my Adium (latest version 1.5.10) is permanently download average 12 KB/s and upload average 23 KB/s from a to local-bay.contacts.msn.com, my iMac was started 6,5 hours ago and it's been 489 MB up and 265 MB down.

I restarted Adium and it's doing it again.

What the hell ? Any idea ?

Thanks

Jerome_C
Harmless

Re: Adium permanent download / upload to msn

Postby Jerome_C » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:38 pm

Since this post Adium has downloaded 3 GB and uploaded 5,5 GB of data, all this to and from msn.

Wow... does it mean I should get rid of Adium ? of msn ? Should I kill bill ?

Jerome_C
Harmless

Postby Jerome_C » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:00 am

Well, for those interested (and apparently there aren't many), it was because I still had a msn account trying to log in, and I didn't know M$ had terminated msn and migrated everything into skype. So it seems that even though the end of the msn service is not recent, the actual "technical cut" of all service has to be recent, because my adium wasn't doing this problem at all before.

So I merged my skype account with my msn account into skype, since I can't do this into Adium - too bad :sad:

I deactivated the msn account into Adium and it stopped doing this permanent up/down to msn server... which I really don't understand : if the service was actually shut down, what was all this data mess between my client and their server ?!

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:21 pm

I believe the issue’s related to the current MSN connection issue.

MSN hasn’t been entirely terminated yet.

Jerome_C
Harmless

Postby Jerome_C » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Ah Ok, anyway now I did the migration to skype, and I guess I would have done it sooner or later, so...

Thanks for the answer.

Derik
Harmless

Postby Derik » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:39 pm

do you find skype to be an acceptable instant message client? My experience was of a window that was 90% dedicated to video with a small tray on the right hand side for text.
derik
Adium 1.5.10 running on OSX Mountain LIon (10.8.5)

trane
Harmless

Postby trane » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Derik,

I hate to say it, but Skype is an excellent IM, especially with its ability to queue messages in a Pending state for people you send IMs while they're offline. You can write Joe Schmo a message while he's offline and three hours later when you see him come online, your Skype will send the message that has been Pending on your system. For me, it means that I can send somebody a message when I think of it and not worry about when they're online.

Truth be told, I hardly use Adium anymore. That's not a comment against Adium, mind you; most of my connections have migrated from AIM, Messenger, ICQ and Yahoo! Instant Messenger to Skype over the years.

Derik
Harmless

Postby Derik » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:21 pm

trane wrote:I hate to say it, but Skype is an excellent IM,
Oh no need to worry. I don't hate Microsoft so much that I would slam them when they making something good. With billions of dollars a year in revenue it would be surprising if they didn't put something good once in a while.
trane wrote: especially with its ability to queue messages in a Pending state for people you send IMs while they're offline.
It sounds like you use IM much the way I use email. If they aren't on line, then I don't want to instant message them. I use IM for when I want to have a short conversation right now, while we both are right hear. Much the way I would have once used a phone call. In fact I still migrate from texting (SMS on my phone) to a phone call rather often. For me, your "pending queue" is a lot like calling someone you know is not home so that you can leave a message to have them call you back. Sure, that is useful some times, but not really what I usually think of when I think of phone conversations.

Trane,
what did you think of the interface? I was lookign at the Lync interface on line and it looked okay, but still not very good. For instance the list of contacts had about 8 per page (because it put them in a column with a picture by each name. Even within the Microsoft example images, most of the "pictures" were just blank "your image goes here" squares. That works when you have less than 8 contacts. But it is not very helpful when your IT manager puts every member of your company into the primary contacts list. The 3 or 4 people I must text on a regular basis, don't actually work for my company. I will need to scroll through that list every time? I would hope not! The images MS provided didn't show an actual text conversation in progress. On my try with Skype conversation looked like this. (no joke for those not familiar)

derik: Can you
tell me what the
Manufacturers part
number on the
capacitor C12 is?

them: are you
still referring to the
wajcm43 board or
the stand alone
module?

such a thing was frustrating. I could make the text area bigger, only by making the video portion bigger. To make the text area large enough for my liking (20 % of my screen) the Skype window had to fill the whole monitor which prevented me from working while I waited for a response. Again, this was just me. I didn't search through the settings. I just said "Nope. moving on". Was I too hasty?

Perhaps this is the wrong place to have this discussion. :b
derik
Adium 1.5.10 running on OSX Mountain LIon (10.8.5)

Return to “Adium”