Beta problem

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
woodyuk
Harmless

Beta problem

Postby woodyuk » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi

I have been using the new Beta - mainly due to the new Facebook feature which I LOVE!. Firstly i understand these are betas and so just providing feedback.

It crashses a LOT! I have uninstalled, deleted the application support files as well. I am now using the latest B7 but its still doing it. I cannot work out what is causing it, but adium can be loaded for about 10mins and then bang it crashes, if you mess around with it at all - it crashes. Its just soooo unstable.

I am connected to Facebook, Yahoo and MSN only. I also find that Facebook keeps logging me out on the website, i have not worked out if adium is causing this but its only started since I have been using the betas.

Whats also weird is that I run Adium beta at work as well but on a new iMac with 10.5.4 - and its a LOT more stable, however often I find I am logged into Facebook IM but no contacts show.

I am using a Macbook Pro C2D at home with 10.5.4 (but problems were with 10.5.3 as well)

Any ideas? Are their any logs being produced by Adium I can send over to help track this down.

Thanks

Woody

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Beta problem

Postby zac » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:34 pm

The current 1.3 betas are using a new implementation of MSN which hasn't really seen wide distribution yet, so crashes are sort of expected. You can file the bugs on Trac as usual.

Chabou
Harmless

Postby Chabou » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:33 pm

It's probably not the best place to report it, I probably should have created my own topic but I guessed this topic could be used for all issues related to the current beta. Anyway.

I'm having a resource related bug (well I guess it is related to resources). You can see it on the following picture:

The problem comes from the "Save custom status" item location. It happens when I try to edit my current status, when I haven't modified anything yet.
If I try to "Appear Idle immedialty", things get worst:

Then when I uncheck the checkbox, it still doesn't get the right location:

"Save Custom status" is now on "Silence Growl". :o I have the same kind of issue if I check or uncheck "Auto-reply", but the place of "Save Custom Status" is different from the 2 pictures above.
But I still can have the right position when I check "Mute Sounds" or "Silence Growl".

I'm experiencing this issue since the beginning of the betas (I don't remember if it was there before the integration of the French Localization). Since I've read that the period was about to end, I wonder if a similar bug has already been reported and maybe fixed since 1.3b7 (I haven't seen anything on the tracker) ? If not, I might need to create a ticket, don't I ?
I also wonder if I'm the only to have this bug, and if it is "French"-related ?
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ;)

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:51 pm

This is a French problem, and it should be fixed in the next beta, I believe. Let us know if it isn't.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

Chabou
Harmless

Postby Chabou » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:22 pm

I still have the problem in 1.3b9. ;)

sllapur
Harmless

Postby sllapur » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:37 pm

I have had the latest beta (b9) running all day and I have not had a single issue. Sometimes it helps to erase all the Adium folders and files and then re-download whichever version you want to use... Clean up a bit, you know...

Chabou
Harmless

Postby Chabou » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:28 pm

I've tried it, at least a decade of times to remove Adium and its Application Support folder, and here are the results of my investigations :

Everytime after having deleted the /Users/myusername/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/ folder, when I start Adium 1.3b9 and I go to that window, the elements are well placed.
Then I select cancel (selecting Ok causes the same thing) because I don't want to change my current "offline" status. I haven't configured anything at all at that very moment, haven't added any Xtra (I thought it could because one of them), but an account to be able to get connected (the type of account doesn't matter, of course I would say).
If I just go back again to that window, the "Save custom item" is not placed where it should.

Very strange behavior...

Chabou
Harmless

Postby Chabou » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:35 pm

Since I saw no changes from the different betas and the official releases, I decided to try to fix myself the issue.

Locally, I have succeded by remaking the french .nib from the english one (that is, I just replace the english words by the french ones available in the current french nib :P). I've test on the trunk branch, but I don't see why there would any difference with the 1.3 branch in that nib atm.
Then, "it just works". I really wonder if my french colleagues have this issue too, and I would like very much if one of Adium team developers can have look one day and replace the .nib with a working one ?

Thanks in advance. :smile:

biglittledragoon
Crema

Postby biglittledragoon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:20 am

Chabou wrote:Since I saw no changes from the different betas and the official releases, I decided to try to fix myself the issue.

We tried… :???:

Are all the windows depending of this nib correctly aligned?

You did nothing that rebuild from English, you didn't touch the alignment at all?
Knowledge MUST be shared!
La Connaissance ne vaut que si elle est partagée!

My X(tras)
Image The French Team on Twitter

Chabou
Harmless

Postby Chabou » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:17 pm

Is it possible to compare .nib files ? I guess no, or else you would have done that. It must be a binary file, since it contains graphical elements.

biglittledragoon wrote:You did nothing that rebuild from English, you didn't touch the alignment at all?

I just have to modify some width of the elements of that window, because the french translation is bigger than the expected space. I didn't do anything about alignement. Should I give you my nib to compare/check ? You would probably be able to check on your own side that this nib is good.

biglittledragoon wrote:Are all the windows depending of this nib correctly aligned?

Well I don't know how to display all the windows to check that, but from the "Status Menu -> Personnalize..." and from the menu bar -> "Personnalise..." that window is correctly displayed. Is there any other way to display it ?

Return to “Adium”